I think I’m releasing my perfect-party-planning tendencies as Simeon ages. Some of you old timers may recall his very first birthday party— the party for which I poured over Pinterest boards in an anxiety-induced hysteria and laid unmoving on the couch all night, mourning the injustice of gold plated handmade bunting and mini-chalkboard food labels. To cut costs that year, I made the decorations myself and hand crafted each and every drink label, ribbon, and banner. I was a woman possessed. I also wasn’t much fun. I mean, I was fun at the party but beforehand? Not. So. Much.
This year was different.
I ordered the same food as I have the last two years, I made the same tea punch, I BOUGHT each and every decoration. The only thing I used my brain for was the cake because I actually like baking cakes and also I get to lick the spoon (and the bowl and the mixer and the counter top…) so I WIN.
And, guess the friggin what?
The party was terrible and no one had any fun.
Haha. Kidding. It was a blast. On a scale of one to Disneyland, I give it a solid 10.
The little dude has been very into transportation lately. Planes, boats, trains, and cars are a constant part of our daily conversation so we decided to have a things that go birthday party. I found a few colorful and simple decorations on Amazon that worked nicely. We pulled items from Simeon’s toy bin and scattered the table with “things that go.”
This is the first year that Sim has really understood the concept of “birthday” and watching him drink in the excitement was quite possibly the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. He labeled everything as a “Happy Birthday.” He kept talking about “Hap Burtday” and “Hap Burtcake” and “Hap Burtpresents.” It was darling. Actually, just writing about it makes me think I should maybe go in the other room and squeeze him real quick… brb
Fancy bunting and mini-chalkboards aside, we celebrated the heck out of this boy and his three years of life. Happy Birthday, little Darling.
Glad you’re growing. Glad you’re mine.
Birthday Details for those who’d like to know:
- Invites: Custom birthday invitation by Delivered by Danielle (We use her for his invite every year and I LOVE how they turn out! So fun to look back at his past invitations and see how that little face has grown.)
- Gifts: Personalized birthday school bus shirt by Fresh Frog Tees // EasyGo Wagon in Red (It works on sand so we plan to use it to get Sim to and from the beach this summer. AND it’s collapsible so it will fit in the car, even with all our luggage and the wheelchair! Woot!) // Plasma Car (I want to write more on this one later. Didn’t get any photos because it needed some assembly.) // Everything Goes on Land book by Brian Biggs (Sim could pour over this book all day– he is particularly enamored with the page that is entirely devoted to different kinds of buses!)
- Decorations: Red polka dot banner //On the go hanging decorations
- Paper Products: On the go dessert plates // On the go napkins
- Cake: Chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting, recipe by Ina Garten
You can read about Sim’s past birthday extravaganzas here: