If you have a child with SB then you may have experienced the dreaded shield. You know what I’m talking about, moms. The shield of doom? The shield of disaster? The shield which strikes fear into the heart of all who approach it?
|Hidden within this baby’s diaper, there lies a shield of destiny!|
The Shield in 6 easy steps…
- Cut a ziplock baggie to get a 2 inch square of plastic.
- Place the baby on his or her tummy.
- Place the square of plastic over the #2-zone (you know where I’m talkin’…), so that the top of the square hits about 1/2 an inch above that little baby crack.
- Using a strip of medical tape (not duct tape, Dads. Seriously. Use your head!), tape the top of the shield onto the baby. Think “mud flap”– or maybe don’t. Gross.
- Diaper your baby who is now wondering what your deal is and why you’ve taken so darn long to get this thing done. (Be sure the sneaky shield isn’t sticking out the legs of the diaper! This– as my mother-in-law pointed out– will create more of a “poop shoot.” You don’t want that.)
- Rest easy knowing that no poop shall pass up your darling munchkin’s back.
Unless your child has SB, I suggest only doing this before bed and not at each diaper change since too much taping could bother the skin.
Enjoy! May the shield guard you always.