We did it! We moved into our first home! Are you proud of us?
Our first weekend at home has given me lots of time to ponder our new status as homeowners. Here’s what I’ve noticed so far:
Pros (because owning a home is awesome):
- Simeon can actually move!! I didn’t realize how tight our old home was until I watched him wheel through this new one. He can circle the entire house, go down the hallways and get into his bedroom easily. Being able to get out of my line of sight is a luxury Simeon has never experienced. Independence makes me happy.
- We have a deck that is easily accessible from the family room. Dinner under the stars? Check. Little boy wheeling out in the sun? Double check.
- The neighbors brought us cookies. Mr. Rogers would give this place a thumbs up.
|Enjoying the nightlife (like a boss).|
Cons (because you can’t have it all):
- The main bathroom is teeny and includes an equally small door frame– much too small for a wheelchair. We knew when we bought the home that a bathroom makeover would be in our future. Now I’m just hoping we can save enough to make it happen because I’m pretty sure Sim won’t want me carrying him to the toilet when he’s 15– even though I totally would because I know he’ll be a crazy cute teen.
- Living closer to work means that I share a grocery store with my students— which means the little boy I saw last night in the produce aisle is probably telling all his friends about how Mrs. Smith doesn’t shave her legs on the weekends and dresses like a bum and buys alcoholic beverages. They’ll be calling me the Drunken Librarian Sasquatch by Friday. Great.
- Everything is my problem. As a renter, I really enjoyed not being responsible for my home. Dishwasher only runs on one cycle? Not my problem. Basement smells like a foot? Not my problem. Door knobs fall off all the time? Not my problem. So when our garbage disposal stopped working yesterday I was like, “Not my… dagnabbit!” Welcome to the real world dum-dum.
- I’m not a millionaire— but if I was I would have this place tricked out and decorated in no time. I’ve got vision, y’all– and limited funds. But if I give myself time and a budget I think I can make this place cute. Get ready to have your mind blown.
So there you have it. Give me some time and I’m sure I’ll have more deep thoughts (and before & after shots!) to share with you. For now I’m enjoying the space and I’m pretty sure Sim and Greg are too!
|Midnight “snack” for mommy.|
Linking up with Blair at Wild and Precious